20051129


Geek Chic



Another lazy post with information lifted from another site:

the best geek novels written in English since 1932
(I need to catch up on my readin'!)


1. The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- Douglas Adams
2. Nineteen Eighty-Four -- George Orwell
3. Brave New World -- Aldous Huxley
4. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? -- Philip Dick
5. Neuromancer -- William Gibson
6. Dune -- Frank Herbert
7. I, Robot -- Isaac Asimov
8. Foundation -- Isaac Asimov
9. The Colour of Magic -- Terry Pratchett
10. Microserfs -- Douglas Coupland
11. Snow Crash -- Neal Stephenson
12. Watchmen -- Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
13. Cryptonomicon -- Neal Stephenson
14. Consider Phlebas -- Iain M Banks
15. Stranger in a Strange Land -- Robert Heinlein
16. The Man in the High Castle -- Philip K Dick
17. American Gods -- Neil Gaiman
18. The Diamond Age -- Neal Stephenson
19. The Illuminatus! Trilogy -- Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
20. Trouble with Lichen - John Wyndham

6 comments:

Alice said...

i've only read a couple of those books which means i must not be a geek. i did however know a shit load of people that were into the illuminati trilogy in high school. does that count for something? geek by association?

leon said...

well, does that mean that since I know you, I'm a "cool kid" by association?

Anonymous said...

I have read 10. And I am reading "Stranger in a Strange Land" right now. 11. I am kind of surprised because I have read very little sci fi.

I think "Diamond Age" is Stephenson's second worst book, so I don't know what it's doing on there.

G "I can talk about books all day" Bomb

leon said...

I've only read 5 on the list.

I agree about Diamond Age, and why is only one book listed by William Gibson?

And I though LoTR was the ultamite geek read, and it's not even listed.

leon said...

and no George R.R. Martin?

Anonymous said...

I was wondering about LoTR, but there isn't really fantasy on the list except for Pratchett. I have Very Controversal opinions about that series though.

Definately more Gibson. Gibson is so geeky it hurts!

G Bomb