20050311


Another blog posting about the best band out right now



Last night I mustered up the energy to head out to SF to see The Futureheads at Slim's (after catching dinner at El Farolito's). Besides being one of the few newer bands out there that caught my attention via recording, seeing them live pretty much blew my mind. They pulled off all the complex vocal arrangements flawlessly (all 4 members sing). Their showmanship and stage presence was of the highest degree, and to top it off, they covered "Pictures of Dorian Grey" by the TVPs during the encore.

I only saw two other fellow Sacramentans at the show, which brings me to this. I thought the Empire club (that was opened a year or two ago) was supposed to bring these kinds bands to our cow-town. Is it that the guy who books shows there is completely out of touch with current music? I don't get it. Every once in a while a band that's getting a lot of buzz will play there or Harlows, but not very often. As much as I like to visit lovely SF, it's kind of a drag to have to go there and back in one night (especially while driving alone).

But all whining aside, I'd like to leave you for the weekend on a positive note. I had a great time, and I think my friend Ian was finally converted to like current music after the show (he's been obsessive over 80s metal the past few months)

No comments: