20060515


Weekend update



Rose Melberg Friday night == Amazing

She didn't play any of her oldies like last time, but her performance was still on point. She had her mom doing harmonies for most of the songs, which was sweet, and just in time for mothers day.

I wound up liking the opening act more than I thought I would. The Moore Brothers(?). The dudes were from Oakland, were super laid back and subtly funny, and the songs were right to the point, thus satisfying my short attention span.

Hey... and it looks like Uno Mas is open until super late on the weekends now (it was open after the Fools show). Definitely not my first choice for eats, but on a late weekend night, I think I'd choose it over hot rods any day.

Saturday morning my sister and I headed out for a practice hike (in order to gear up for our big one at the end of the month). The hike (Steven's Trail in Colfax) was 9 miles total, and the first half seem deceptively easy, yet the second half (the way back) was rough. I could barely walk the next day, and my ass still hurts as I type this. The hike is beautiful. It follows one of the forks of the American River way before it hits Folsom lake and crosses a couple ravines and waterfalls along the way. This time of year there are wildfowers everywhere. The trail ends at a beach next to the river, and the water is a deep turquoise blue (and not diarrhea brown like post Folsom damn). Definitely worth the pain. We hit the trail at 8 am and it was getting hot on the way back. A lot of people were coming inbound by around 10:30 or so, so I recommend going as early as possible to avoid the crowds and the heat.

That night Niki and I saw Art School Confidential at the Tower. I definitely recommend seeing it if you are an avid Daniel Clowes fan, but you might not "get it" otherwise (I think I heard some booing and hissing at the credits). It only got a 49% on rottentomatoes.com, so you have a 49% chance of liking it. It's no "Ghost World", just a quirky story about an art student. I think the ending would have worked better in a graphic novel, but it comes off somewhat cheesy in the movie...just go in with that mind frame, is all I'm saying.

1 comment:

beckler said...

i bought the moore brothers record online. it's really good!