20050214


A Thousand Miles



Last week was pretty damn busy here at work, thus, no posting, but at least I wasn't bored senseless sitting at my desk for 8 hours (ok...i snuck out after 6 hours most days so I could go home and play with the puppy for my one hour window of afternoon sunshine).

The weekend was great. Friday Chris called me up around 9:30pm to tell me the Feeling where about to play, and normally, in my current state of mind of being a homebody these days, I would have just stayed home, but I managed to get myself out of the house and was glad I did. I got to the party moments before the Feeling began and they played brilliantly despite some minor technical difficulties with the bass (should have stuck with the powerpuff girl bass, dude!). They made up for the last time I saw them at the Distillery, where it seemed to be a "what band can play the loudest?" pissing contest. This time the volume was perfect, probably due to the fact that it was a house party and the boys didn't want it shut down due to noise complaints. The second band was friggin awesome. Faux 80's Eurotrash New Wave band (I never found out who they were...other than there were members from the Low Down in it). At first I thought it was just a gimmick that would wear off quickly, but they managed to pull me back into there set, just when I was starting to have my fill of fur coats, fake German accents, synths and neon body suits. During their set, the power went out a couple times, which didn't even faze them a bit...they just kept going and they were hella tight...hella. which was most impressive about them. I had enough after a while, so I cut out before the other band (The Jay and Joel Show) played... I love them and all, but it just seemed like the right moment to leave. Maybe they played some mind blowing set and I missed out. I'll never know.

Saturday day Niki and I took heylove walking in midtown for the first time (she just got all her shots) and she did pretty good, walking in spurts, then coming to abrupt stops. She did eventually catch on that the middle of the street was no place to stop and sniff.

My friend Matt had his dirty 30 b-day party that night (mine will be this saturday), and in honor of his hobby of collecting and fixing pinball machines, we had a pinball tournament, which turned out to sound better on paper than in reality. I love the game as much as the next person, but some of the contestants didn't have as much enthousiasm, and dropped out early. I came in second and won my money back, Rory kicked my butt, rolling the score over on one of the machines. It seemed to last forever, and when we were all done the party had dispersed a bit. We had cake and just sat around and talked. Timmy busted out the guitar and tried to convince me to sing along to some Led Zep songs. Timmy rules.

Sunday was "do-nothing-day", and I did nothing except watch "White Chicks" which was pretty damn funny...best scene in the movie was when Terry Crews (the dude who always plays the big scary guy in "black comedies") bust out with the Vanessa Carlton hit song. Almost too funny...I was in a state of shock and laughter at the same time.

***Follow Up***

This is the band I saw friday

Here is a great song by them

No comments: