20040206


reason 4,080 for not letting you co-workers know you are in a band



you get these kinds of emails from that other guy who plays guitar and wants to jam with you all the time:


Hello,
Some of you might have heard me mumble some stuff about a redesigned acoustic guitar. The guitar sytle is called Kasha. Named after Dr. Kasha who is some sort of scientist that has a great interest in acoustics. So he redisgned the guitar to maximize volume, and tone. Apparently, this guitar will produce the first fundamental harmonic on the low E string, which is normally impossible with acoustic guitars. Think of it like a Chello producing the famous "wolf" note. Here is the web page www.boazguitars.com. Boaz is now the official Kasha guitar maker, meaning he still works with Dr. Kasha on new designs. Boaz guitars are about $12,000, but he does give lessons to begginers that will produce the latest Kasha guitar design called the "Clarita Negra" for about $1,800. The lesson includes all of the wood, glue, tools etc... it’s the good brazilian/indian rosewood, and euro spruce.

I forgot to mention,
Last night I stopped by Guitar center on my way home, but the custom knobs looked like crap so I didn’t get them. Anyways, I was thinking about that tremelo/vibrato effect that I was looking for (simulates a whammy bar). They didn’t have anything at center that was cheap anyways, so I went to Steve's and ended up getting the BOSS PS-5 with the expression pedal. It does exactly what I've been looking for, except the tone isn't quite as rich as natural tone, but its cool and now I can do psychedelic whammy stuff.

I just stopped by your desk, but you weren't there. So I took a look at the Ei tubes. They look exactly like the ones I got except they are not gold tipped.

I really doubt the "gold electroplating" helps all that much. Take a look at the groove tube/sovteks of the same size. The Ei's use maybe 1/5th of the amount of metal, way cleaner design.

I compared the JAN tubes I have with the new Ei power tubes I bought , and they look about the same. The JAN's might be slightly better made.

At first I tried the Ei pre-amp tubes with the old JANs, and it was an extremely noticable improvement in tone over the groove tubes (more of a dynamic tonal range so to speak). When I put in the Ei power tubes, the sound was a bit tighter crisper, but I think that has to do with the fact that the JAN tubes were about 5-7 years old.



No comments: