20081222


Super good latkes
Originally uploaded by bugbiteme



This is the second year I've made these, and they are a hit. I may try to make a vegan version again this week. The above latkes are the real deal though!

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups potato, cubed
* 3 smaller russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
* 1 onion, shredded
* 2 eggs
* 3 tablespoons matzo meal
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 6 tablespoons vegetable oil


DIRECTIONS

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and mash.
2. In a medium bowl, mix shredded Yukon Gold potatoes, mashed potatoes and onion. Add in eggs, matzo meal and salt; mix well.
3. Feel consistency of the dough; mixture should hold together without being sticky. If it sticks to your hands, add more matzo meal until dough is no longer sticky.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm enough oil or butter or margarine to cover 1/4 inch of the skillet.
5. When hot, drop mixture by heaping tablespoon to oil; flatten with a spatula and cook on both sides until golden brown. Serve.

2 comments:

werenotdeep said...

Thanks for posting, Levy! I've always wanted to try latkes, and now I can try your recipe. I think I'll enjoy it much more now that I have acquired a taste for onions that is less six-year-old-ish than I used to have. I actually cook them and eat them now, and sometimes eat them raw. I know, I'm growing up!

werenotdeep said...

Wow...I just realized that you haven't updated in like six months, which probably means that's the last time I checked over here. Thanks for the recipe anyways.